Monday, May 08, 2006

Ned Lamont for Senate




Ned Lamont for Senate

Yours truly just spent $25 in contribution to the Ned Lamont for Senate campaign. It felt good. I’ve spent $25 and more in the past with much less gratification. I’ve taken the family to a lousy movie, and with popcorn and cokes we spent well over $25 and felt terrible afterwards. But not this time.

Net Lamont is a liberal businessman from Greenwich, Connecticut, who’s running for the Democratic party’s nomination against Joe Lieberman. I can’t stand Joe Lieberman. Yes, I know in the 2000 campaign I was crazy for Joe, I thought he represented everything that was wonderful about Jews in America – an Orthodox Jew who could climb to the second-highest post in the nation without having to dilute his faith.

I got into some bruising fights with Orthodox Jews who criticized Joe for his ambiguous answers on embarrassing halachic questions. If you Google it you’re bound to find it. I haven’t changed my opinion about those debates, although I wish I had been less bruising (and bruised). But what upsets me the most is how I could have been so wrong about Joe Lieberman himself. What a sellout he turned out to be, what a hack.

So I want him unseated, and I just spent $25 to help do it. Frankly, I don’t even care if Ned Lamont can defeat his Republican opponent in November, should he defeat JL in the primary. Joe is a Republican in Democrat clothing anyway. I feel he should be punished for brown nosing the worst administration we’ve had since the late 1920’s.

Go, Ned, go!

Lieberman's plight reflects party divided by war

Criticized for supporting Bush, the Conn. senator faces real competition for the first time since '88.
By Dick Polman
Inquirer Political Analyst

HARTFORD, Conn. - Behold the downward trajectory of Joe Lieberman's political fortunes.

In 2000, Connecticut's junior senator came within a few hanging chads of becoming vice president of the United States. In 2004, he ran for president but was blown out in the Democratic primaries by liberal voters who deemed him too hawkish on Iraq and too chummy with the commander in chief.

And now, in 2006, he has been reduced to ringing up local Democrats in his own backyard, seeking their help as he tries to save his job. Such is the plight of a politician who has become a punching bag for the antiwar base of his own party - and a national symbol of how this war is sowing bitter divisions among Democrats.
Lieberman now faces real competition for the first time since 1988 - from Ned Lamont, an affluent cable-TV entrepreneur and staunch war critic who is poised to challenge Lieberman in an August Democratic primary, with financial backing from the liberal bloggers who routinely assail the senator in language unfit for a family newspaper.

1 Comments:

Blogger תיקון ישראל said...

I must admit I do not understand what you just wrote. All I know is that Joe L. is now a Republican, and should run as such. If you really think Saddam was a threat to the US at any point, then I give up any attempt to communicate with you. There's nothing of value that I can say to you which you'll consider.

8:28 PM, May 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home